- An, Jinsoo. Parameters of Disavowal: Colonial Representation in South Korean Cinema. University of California Press, 2018.
- Lee, Namhee. The Making of Minjung: Democracy and the Politics of Representation in South Korea. Cornell University Press, 2009.
- Jackson, Andrew David. “Jürgen Hinzpeter and Foreign Correspondents in the 1980 Kwangju Uprising.” International Journal of Asian Studies, vol. 17, 2020, pp. 19-37.
- Shim, David. “Cinematic Representations of the Gwangju Uprising: Visualising the “New” South Korea in A Taxi Driver.” Asian Studies Review, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 454-470.
- Lie, John. Han Unbound: The Political Economy of South Korea. Stanford University Press, 1998.
- Williams, Linda. Playing the Race Card: Melodramas of Black and White from Uncle Tom to O. J. Simpson. Princeton University Press, 2001.
- The Korean Film Archive’s YouTube channel hosts many beautifully restored South Korean films with subtitles.
- DPRK Video Archive, a YouTube channel “Helping the English speaking world understand North Korea propaganda,” has a playlist of North Korean films with English subtitles.
- Asia for Educators contains resources for teaching about East Asia, including the Koreas.
This film guide was developed by Julia Keblinska, The Ohio State University and is available online for classroom use worldwide. All the film guides can be accessed at EASC's Film Guide page.